If each and every one who expresses a passionate interest simply ponies up about $1500 up front for a signed and numbered first edition it might help get started. Still tough to make it a financial success. But it almost worked for Audubon.

I've done it both ways with three books.
First was Krause Pub. 1998 Johnny on the spot Fine Gunmaking: Double Shotguns, sold about 8000 in two editions and I actually got reasonable royalty check for the first year, although not enough to bank. First printing of 4500 sold out in 14 months. Second printing kinda died. I bought the remainder.

Self published Custom Rifle in B&W ($25,000 - 1999) amortized 90% in first 18 months, last 10% took another year, to break even... now it's a cult classic and not financially worthwhile to reprint. A lot of work besides writing and photography.

My most recent royalty check on Double Guns & Custom Gunsmithing, 2007 was $140, for the last (Christmas) quarter, whoopee!

No matter how loudly a few clammer, gun books are simply not money makers, a flat lot of work to break even. Now if you are willing to put some money up front....

Last edited by SDH-MT; 03/12/11 06:07 PM.