Originally Posted By: Rocketman
Originally Posted By: Oldfarmer
Today at the ground I put on a going away orange target - trap just to the right and slightly in front of the cage, throwing a slightly quartering bird towards the left. We fire around 200 targets. I picked up 40 unbroken, 7 had one strike hits, two had 2 strike hits and one had three strikes. A few would have broken when they hit the ground, probably a higher proportion of the struck targets than the undamaged ones, but it was not designed as a scientific experiment.
I guess one could draw conclusions from this small sample.
1. All 4 pellet strikes broke the clays.
2. Almost all the 3 strike broke the clays. 1/2% didn't.
3. Around 1/6th (17%) of the unbroken targets were hit by 1 pellet and did not break. Check your numbers, please. I see 3 1/2% (7/200) didn't break.
John

Don, I think you and John are speaking different languages as far as math goes. There were 40 UNBROKEN targets, 7 of which were hit by one pellet. His 16% is a percentage of the UNBROKEN targets hit by one pellet, not a percentage of all those thrown. No way to tell how many of the 160 that did break were struck by only one pellet. You can only compute how many did NOT break from a single pellet strike. And you do not know what % of 3 strike hits failed to break a target, because--once again--you don't know how many 3 strike hits resulted in a break. All you know is that one target, out of 40 unbroken ones, had 3 pellet strikes. That would be 2 1/2% of all the unbroken targets, or 10% of all the unbroken targets which showed pellet strikes.