I find it interesting no one has mentioned dealer time factor in packaging yet. I also know that each January ALL of the carriers raise rates. My last three Fed-Ex bills listed a 10% fuel surcharge for delivery( up from the previous 5%, 6.5 % and 8%).....this is NOT quoted as part of the price on the computer or in person on the phone before shippment.

Two of the largest carriers are adding surcharge ammounts for home, extended delivery areas, and pick-up (if you don't have a daily pick up agreement. As of January 2011 all have recaluclated just how dimensional weight is determined W X H X L divided by 166 instead of 194.

As for insurance.....I used to pay each time a package was shipped via the carriers "insurance" program. When the cost of the insurance exceeds the cost of the shipping....my clients raise Cain AND Abel. I got tired of arguing with them that what it cost me should cost them.

UPS and FED-EX specifically have written into their shipping contracts that they do NOT issue insurance.....only added value(have you really read all of the fine print yet). They really don't want to pay out claims. Therefore, in order to protect my clients investment, a separate insurance policy has been procured. It isn't cheap. Must I bear the cost of insurance without passing it on? Yes, the insurance is cheaper than the carriers....therefore I don't have to charge as much either to re-coup my costs.

Dennis Earl Smith/Benefactor Life NRA, ACGG Professional member