Like a lot of folks, I've paid for insurance, usually USPS, for many, many years without ever knowing who it was that was actually insured against damage. Recently I received a martini cadet that had the Lyman peep crushed without damage to the rifle itself. As it turns out, from the PO point of view either party can make the claim and as a practical matter both buyer and seller have to cooperate in the claim process. Mine was a relatively small claim, $95, handled largely on-line, and settled without question in about 3 weeks. As an aside, it is my understanding that UPS in particular will virtually never pay a claim but that's hearsay.

My experience was ok since it didn't really involve damage to the gun but just an easily replaceable add on piece. And it doesn't necesarily answer the question about who is the insured in the case of damage. I suppose I mean actually whose burden is it to deal with the problem. It seems obvious where an inspection period is given that the buyer is free to send it back. In the case of an "as is" transaction I'd think the same would be true since the item wouldn't be in the same condition as described. I can see alot of room for argument as well especially in the cases where the insurance is presented as optional.

Is there an absolutely right answer to this?

Last edited by Weston; 03/21/11 10:18 PM.