The rifle in question is a 1903 Springfield serial number 457949 given to the Cody Museum by a Judge Anderson. He gave more than one 1903 and there is another of his Springfields in the collection, the other one has a heavy Winchester barrel.

I was there about twenty years ago and the rifle in question was laying in a case with some other stuff and I could not see the entire rifle. At the time no one knew anything about the rifle. Ive emailed and talked on the phone with two different people and have learned the following. Getting them to take a picture is a big deal and seems impossible. They have an attribution they are comfortable with as to the maker.

If possible I would like to have a picture(s) if you have a digital camera and if they will let you look at the rifle. Please look it over and see if you can tell who the maker was. Its been twenty-years and my notes are not the best but remember that I was impressed with what I could see of the rifle.

If you do recognize the maker you could TRY to let them know but suspect that might not work. I would be nice to get judge Anderson's full name and address.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014