This is an example of Claro American Walnut. This is a Win 21 'Custom Grade' out of the Custom shop 1968. The Win Model 21 catalog of that period describes the wood as "Grade AA Full-Fancy American Walnut. This is also the same specification for the 'Pigeon Grade' and 'Grand American Grade' of that period. Schwing's book of the Model 21 describes that period as Winchester having "difficulty in securing high quality American black walnut." "Winchester's wood buyers turned to Califronia where the source of California Claro walnut was adequate to meet the Custom Shop's needs". This stock is lighter than any other Model 21 I have.
Let me add that American Black walnut and this piece of claro have feather in them that changes as the play of light changes which makes them so attractive and cannot be conveyed by a picture. English, Turkish or many other type do not have this play but only consist of swirling patterns. The English is much easier to work with but I don't purchase it. After spending a morning in Kolar's wood room consisting of 100% English, I found not a single blank I cared for. An exhibition piece of American Black Walnut resides on my Kolar.
The second picture is a Win 21 'Custom Built' with American Black Walnut for comparison.
For those interested, the Custom Grade has 26" barrels, IC/Mod and 20 gauge 3" chambers with Field Beavertail.
The Custom Built is 12 gauge 32" VR.-Dick

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 01/29/07 04:31 PM.