Well I can make a good argument that the most reliabile shotguns in the world today are either the Bertta 68X series or the Browning Citoris. But I don't think that makes them best guns. Handling qualities, triggers, fit and finish also go into defining "Best".

The latest Ferrari supercar is superior to Honda Civic. But the Civic is more reliable and requires less maintenance.

I think the best guns in the world are the ones made by the Brits after World War I and and before the Depression. The gunsmiths were turning out large quantities of guns and they were in top notch form from building all those gun, the steels were top notch from the WWI weapons development, the design had been worked out to perfection. The engravers were banging out the engraving on a Purdey in couple of days. The engraving was excellent because they had done so many before and were so practiced. The weight and balance were optimized. Altogether a confluence of excellence not matched before or since.

My favorite guns to collect are Foxes and Parkers. But a few London and Birmingham guns are in my safe because they are so exquisite.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 05/21/11 12:45 AM.

I am glad to be here.