A very interesting thread, and obviously very subjective.Amorillo Mike makes some very valuable and in my opinion correct comments.
But Chuck means today, so here is a little input from myself.
We are really talking about quality, reliability, fit, finish, etc., so it is my considered opinion that the guns now available from Boxall & Edmiston are possibly today's finest.
Why? The founder,director and engineering brains Peter Boxall was in at the beginning of CadCam engineering after learning his skills at Jaguar Cars Toolroom. He then moved to apply these skills at WC Scott before moving to Holland & Holland to update their manufacturing methods.
A few years ago on a weekend walking trip to Shropshire he & his good lady fell in love with the area and decided to make their home in Shropshire thereby laying the foundations for Boxall & Edmiston. They now have available boxlocks, sidelocks that are simply exquisite. In a recent Shooting Times revue Lewis Potter commented 'it embodies British gunmaking tradition with technology,attractiveness and honesty of design that is hard to beat'. He further commented that the trigger pulls were like 'breaking glass' in fact nearly every comment he made was in awe and envy. All this from a very skilled English gunsmith is praise indeed.

Last edited by salopian; 05/21/11 04:12 AM.