When I posed the question, I really didn't think about all the specialized uses. However, it's clear to me that the best gun in a billionaire's smoke room ain't gonna cut it at the Olympics or even at the state shoot for clay targets or week after week at the range for years, shooting tens of thousands of rounds annually. So, I accept that my list would include many different types and makes of guns, not necessarily of the finest craftsmanship overall, but demonstrated to be the finest in its class for intended use.

The classic sidelock obviously has to be in the list, maybe the crux of the list, because so much of the finest craftsmanship effort is focused on it, still today, after all this time. The finest makers of these seem to be numerous. I think this classic "finest gun" segment is the most contested because these guns are judged mostly on looks and reputation. I say this because: 1) few are made 2)fewer still get used much comparatively 3)most of us don't/won't get closer than either reading about some of them or seeing them at shows.

Right now, I have to go lengthen the forcing cone in my latest .410 ... really. smile

Last edited by Chuck H; 05/21/11 10:50 AM.