King- as the kids say, "Been there, done that, and got the silk robe."....For now anyway.

A good retirement plan to me has a number of pieces. Not all of which are about money. The plan I and my wife have followed accommodated our different views on money, leisure, activity level, risk, and a bunch of other stuff. The central theme was that we wanted adequate cash flow to live as we wished until 80 years old. Not 100. The reality is that most people are done spending by about 75. There is no great reason to hoard money in the belief you'll be shooting sheep at 80. It ain't gonna happen.
It's all about being relatively easy to work with, and it must generate adequate cash flow to make the life you want possible. For me, I broke out accumulations into generically "Toys", and investments.
Investments I have no attachment to other than seeking profit and cash flow. Toys I want to keep, and play with as long as I'm able. Play might include shooting, oiling,fondling, looking at, dusting, and bequeathing. Any pleasurable use. Including recreational land.
The sole intention of investments is to add to the useable cash flow. When tired of toys they can become a part of the cash flow. But they are better considered stores of value, not investments.
By clearly identifying toys as separate from investments, the decisions on acquisition and disposition were only mine. Investments, the wife and I talk about.

Out there doing it best I can.