It seems there was a definite time period (or "era") when animals engraved on a fine Britih shotgun or rifle were stylized, one could even say caricaturized.

Now I'm not bringing American guns into the picture ONLY because I am less familiar with fine American guns. Having said that, I'll put my foot in my mouth and add that I am also NOT referring to inept engraving like one sees on some old Parker guns, the classic "flying turnips".

Westley Richards, W J Jeffery,come to mind, some lesser names but VERY fine guns ala Blissett, Dickson, Trulock & Son....

I'm not just referring to muzzleloader era but later, on fine breechlocks as well.

The quality of the engraving on the weapons as a whole can be of a truly high standard, yet the animals are portrayed in a definite "cartoonish" manner. This leads me to believe that this portrayal of animals was intentional, an accepted style, yet I've never come across anything in my reading confirming this. Indeed, I've never come across anything even remotely pointing this out.

Any illumination on this?