This is all a personal preference, I use Gunline tools-bought a set from Brownells along with extra cutters, you can never have enough tools and there are quite a few extras above a beginners set. I did use 90 degree at one time but now am prone to 60 degree to get the flat top variety of checkering. If you want to see the grain through the checkering 60 deg. flat top is a good bet/very fine 90 deg. I would say 18 or 20 lines per. inch is plenty fine for a beginner, when I say fine it's in the 28 to 32 lpi. range. Your diamonds should be twice as long as they are wide and the starting lines laid out with a flexible straight edge. All my tools are set to cut on the pull stroke which helps to counter over-runs on the border. I have also cut absolutely flat checkering in 16 lpi with a very fine hobbyist's hacksaw and the effect of having checkering and not hide the grain at all but the stock looks done. A stock to me that isn't checkered looks unfinished, the above gives both worlds. Feel free to contact me by Email. --- John Can.