Been watching this thread since it's start but it had become a little lost and until now I felt a straight forward answerr to the original question would have got lost in the flack!
Now things have settled:
The Blanch back action SLE that I posted (http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=246592#Post246592)
cost about 1100 ($1700 approx) including chequering and oil finish, wood extra.
Knowing a little more than I did then, that is about 1/2 to 1/3 of what it would have cost to have it done by a time served stocker in the UK at trade prices to the same standard.
I used D'Arcy Echols to copy the original (inc forend) which I had modified to my (very) approximate dimension ($650). I then passed it to a time served stocker in the UK who did the final fit of locks and action and shaped the body of the stock to my chosen style and exact dimensions ($500). I then had the chequering done by a trade expert ($400) and did the oil finish myself ($250).
One of the advantages of using a stock copier of the quality of D'Arcy is that you get inletting of the same quality as the original which with a turn of the century English gun can be very good indeed. In fact he left the inletting 0.005-0.010" proud on the inner surfaces so that the stocker could work the wood back to a perfect fit at minimal expence.
As regards the question addressed earlier about the function of perfect inletting formed around each component, this can be crucial in many sidelocks as the wood thickness between the lock inletting and trigger groups, ssfety & lever work can be only thousandths thick. The slithers of wood between components can make all the difference between these thin wals crumbling and the stock remaining sound through centuaries of use and many thousands of shot cycles. Also as discussed it can stop bridle and spring screws backing out and contain broken springs.
New stocks' inletting can be sealed with a variety of substances: I have heard recommendations for 'Knotting compound', 'French Polish' (not disimilar) and the stock finishers favoured stock finish. All work fine in my experience.