Originally Posted By: wingshooter16
In furniture making, the "formal" woods (such as walnut, rosewood, and mahogany) are open grained and had to be filled. The job was not considered finished or proper unless this was so. One may think that unfilled pores bespeak the realities of wood, and hold an opinion contrary to centuries of serious woodworking. Filling the pores and achieving a quality finish is time consuming and tedious- but unlike quality inletting, cutting corners here is out front and center stage. I have seen London best featured on magazine covers that were an embarrassment to fine finishing.

Mr. Hughes posted a close-up of his work that forces scrutiny, and screams quality. Simply astounding work at a level which I could never attain, but can certainly appreciate.

Since we are speaking of guns and not dining room tables:

This would be an opinion that like so many others will run from "lightly oiled military finish" to "high gloss plastic all filled finish" and everywhere in between.......therefore....TO EACH HIS OWN I WOULD SAY....If you like the filled bowling pin plastic look, or the modern satin finish look, go for it........whatever blows your dress.........

I like these and this is how I finish the stocks and always have and always will, top pic is one of mine, bottom pic is a factory new gun with some exposed pores as it should be........."beauty is in the eye of the beholder".....

New 25K factory Kriegoff........

Doug