Don't forget that "They" may not be doing all of the work. I don't know if I want the worlds best stock finisher wasting his time on the band saw or belt sander. Better to force multiply and use the best available for each of the tasks necessary.

I have come to believe that due to time/ money constraints, and the overwhelming desire to please "Patrons", Joe off the street doesn't get treated the same as a "Patron".

It's not that Joe off the street isn't discerning, it's that he probably isn't coming back with two more years work from some far away auction.

Once a builder has adequate work on his books, and cash retainer, he is free to work. To do his best. To serve his Patron. Until then, he's gotta stay warm. So, some work cranks through for cash, and Patron work proceeds slowly. Joe off the street's work is to a price point/ time balance point. Even if Joe is never told that.

It's the same in every artisanal industry.

If you show the world your best, and they keep coming back, two years backlog is just about the right amount to suggest a price increase. As after all, all the artisan has to sell is his time.

Out there doing it best I can.