Group,

I've been looking at a pair of guns for awhile and have been having a polite conversation with the owner of this pair of guns:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=265581118

Lets avoid discussion of value and price for this exercise.

The things I saw that didn't match my reference materials, personal collection and known examples was as follows:

1. I'd never seen original Lancasters that had their signature 15 Line Per Inch flat top checkering cut with diamond bevels before. Anyone able to show support for this being original?

2. The short trigger bow tang seems inconsistent with an English stock, making me believe the tang was for a Prince of Wales grip that was subsequently notched and made into a straight grip.

3. All of the original lancasters I've seen had nearly exhibition grade walnut, does the wood look original?

4. Originality of the case. Has anyone seen an original lancaster case that was NOT green baize before?

5. Originality of the case. Has anyone seen a Lancaster that had a tiny maker's label? (see the glue damage to the case lid where the label originally was). Every cased Lancaster I've seen or owned had a huge wallpaper maker's label and then they had 3 additional small "care and use" labels for different aspects of the gun.

6. Sir Joseph Whitworth's Steel. Lancaster was the barrel maker to Manton and then Purdey the younger where he was going head-to-head against his competitor, Sir Joe. The gentleman offering these guns for sale claims he has literature indicating that Lancaster offered Whitworth barrels as an option. I've never seen such a set configured as-new and was wondering if anyone else has seen original Whitworths on a Lancaster?

7. Lancaster's patented Single Trigger of 1896 was usually configured with a prince of Wales grip. Does anyone have an example of a single triggered, original Lancaster that was configured with an English straight grip stock?

I'm a Lancaster fan and I just wanted to add to my knowledge of the maker. If anyone can providce additional data points regarding the guns above I'd be interested to know more.

Regards,

Rookhawk

Last edited by Rookhawk; 12/27/11 03:57 PM.