Originally Posted By: L. Brown
"Best", in the British trade, would have meant a sidelock ejector gun, 100% engraving coverage, stocked to the fences, chopperlump barrels, fine and flawless checkering. Nice definition of a "London Best." But, with Rocketman's permission, we can't overlook his "brand value" category. BV, per my research is applicable in the used (skuz me, pre-caretakered) market. It did not apply nearly as clearly when new guns were being built as there was not a big difference in what it cost to build a gun in London as compared to Birmingham. Jeffery sold a best gun for 55 BPS as compared to about 75 BPS for typical London, but his was a cash on the barrel head deal - no credit (Brit aristocracy was notoriously slow to pay their bills). Quite a few (I think, for practical purposes, all as a best gun could be ordered for resale from several shops in Birmingham) Brit makers were fully capable of turning out a "best" gun, but the price would likely be lower (only slightly) than an equivalent Purdey, Boss, H&H, or Woodward, because in those cases you're paying for the name as well as for the gun (not near as much differential as in the used market). A Scott might have been every bit the gun, but it didn't have every bit the name. But Scott, in many cases, sold his guns for "Purdey prices" or more.

Gorgeous gun, Joe!