I have to say, this has been one of the better discussions. I'll toss in my 2 cents.

As I see it, the issue with sleeving that affects value is that post-sleeving the barrels are no longer original. Collectors and people who look at their guns not just as shooting tools but as storehouses of value will devalue the sleeved gun because of the lack of originality. On the other hand, the owners of guns who look at their guns as a tool or instrument, will tend to look upon the sleeved gun as neither better nor worse - as a shooting instrument - than the original gun. I can't think of any situation where an original gun in serviceable condition will be sleeved - the barrels are in acceptable condition. It's when the barrels have progressed through use or, more likely, abuse and/or neglect to the point of unserviceability that sleeving becomes an option to turn a useless piece of metal and wood into a shooting instrument once more. So, the $200 scrap/parts gun becomes a useful gun again.

It's the interplay of money - actualized and potential - and usefulness that's at issue here.

I would not hesitate to shoot or own a properly sleeved gun, if it presented itself. And I'd buy one, if the price were right and I wanted it.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 02/14/12 10:02 PM. Reason: typo

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent