Originally Posted By: Rookhawk
It seems like there is a need for a just handicap system for scoring vintage shoots. You'd think the cylinder bore guys should get handicap points when compared to tighter chokes.

I notice the guys that win these friendly games are shooting JP Sauer or Elsie's choked Full in both.

Anyone thought about how to create scoring for vintage competitions that evens the odds? Wouldn't it make sense for the vintages to build a rules system so all vintage guns can compete on the merits of the shooter, not just picking a gun that's a ringer for the particular clay

Sincerely,

Sore loser smile

So, sore loser, you think that it is the full choked guns that are winning the shoots, eh? Not the shooter behind it? The reason those guns are winners is that the guys shooting them are better shots, and take the competition more seriously. Part of the seriousness is manifest in using guns with, what they consider, plenty of choke to break any target they may see. More of it is manifest in their dedication to practice and improving themselves so that they can take advantage of those tight chokes.

The same shooters winning many of these vintage shoots could, most likely, win them using a cylinder choked gun, IMO. That's because most of the target presentations are "soft", and not long targets needing lots of choke. Those who choose to use the tightly choked guns may handicap themselves, in a way, on these close targets. I compete in vintage shoots whenever I can, and choose to use tight chokes. If I miss a fast rabbit at 15 yards because my pattern is only 10" across, I accept it as shooter error.

I totally agree with Walt. If you want to win, get the equipment to do it with, and practice 'til you can. There is no shortage of suitable vintage guns out there to be had.

What you are asking for, a system to even the odds, is just a way of taking away the rewards from the man who put in the pain to get the gain.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.