Setting up to hunt turkeys in the pre-dawn dark I made a mistake I hope to never make again.

It was muggy and hot. Thin pants and a light camo shirt were in order. Rain was not expected, so no rain gear was being worn. The decoy was placed perfectly, affording me an easy shot should a gobbler cooperate. The roost tree was not too far away, and the woods afforded exits to two likely strutting areas. After placing my decoy I retreated to the woods, through a lining of scrub brush that covers the first few yards of our local hardwoods, and selected a tree that afforded me a good shot on any turkey approaching the decoy from the roost tree. Silence was critical, and time was of the essence. Turns out, vision was even more critical. I sat directly on top of poison ivy---fresh, sap-laden, poison ivy. Focused on the hunt I remained on the poison ivy long enough, apparently, to soak through my pants and undergarments. I can't put into words the feeling I had in the pit of my stomach when I first looked down and saw the infamous leaves sticking up between my legs. Despite some outstanding steriods and anti-inflamatory medications I still suffered for a few days.

For all the hunting that I so dearly love, turkey hunting is not loved by me. Part of it certainly is the lack of a hunting dog, but much of it goes back to the one awful experience all those years ago.

Todd

Youth is stolen by Wisdom.