Originally Posted By: Greg Tag
...why not provide me some counter-citations and we will discuss this like civilized gentlemen? ...the scenario and the response are both unlikely, but that is what the Founding Fathers envisioned.

The Founding Fathers could not envision the warfare and weaponry of today. As I said earlier, there was little difference in weaponry between redcoats and Continentals.

Today's infantry works with communications, armor, air support, firepower and training that can quickly overwhelm untrained civilians with small arms. Most US casualties in Iraq have come from IEDs and car bombs, which are indiscriminate weapons more lethal to unarmed civilians than to "the occupying forces" - hardly what the Founding Fathers envisioned.

Quote:
...in my reference to the Slovenes and Croats...I merely pointed out that light infantry of militia-type model had been sucessful in battle against an organized regular army. Are you suggesting that the analogy is not good simply because there were cultural issues involved?

Not "simply because," but nationalism is a superb motivator and plays a huge role in the Balkans. But remember that Yugoslavia was a cobbled-together police state that had lost its ramrod leader and was in a state of economic and moral disintegration at the time. The Serb forces were indifferently equipped and badly led and did not have access to the military technology of the modern state.

Quote:
The Jews of the Warsaw Ghetto did a pretty good job as well. So did the Hungarian republican forces in 1956.

And they lost. Even back in the days of cannon-fodder armies, small arms didn't hold up well against armor, artillery and air power.

Quote:
The Afghan Mujahadeen performed pretty creditably against Soviet heavy forces too. Many of them armed with Lee-Enfields.

Again, working with substantial outside support (including US missiles) against a demoralized army from a bankrupt country, and soldiered by deeply religious people who cheerfully gave up their lives for Allah.

Even our Founding Fathers and our Continentals wouldn't have made it without two great advantages: (1) the redcoats were two months and 3,000 miles from their logistical base, and (2) we got significant financial, material, military and naval support from France. Somehow, I don't think we'll be able to count on French support next time.

The days of cannon-fodder armies are over, and the daydream of glory a la Sergeant York is being blown away by satellites, GPS, Hellfire missiles, Blackhawks, field computers, and weaponry beyond imagining by the Founding Fathers.

Fortunately, most of the guys who fondle their Chinese junk ARs and dream of glory will grow up before they hurt someone. Those who don't can be handled easily by any small town police SWAT team.

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com