Let's take this discussion in another direction. I think we can all learn something from Justice Scalia on this issue. Outreach and education. We need to be mindful that gun ownership is guaranteed in a document that can be changed by political process - the god-given right to drink was denied to Americans for a few years due to a consitutional amendment, after all.

As gun rights advocates, we should spend less time behaving like Charlton Heston and more time following Justice Scalia's lead. Most (roughly 65%) Americans don't own guns and many have never even handled one. If these non-owners have qualms about gun ownership, it is based on that lack of experience and the nonsense they see in Hollywood movies and video games. I would argue that popular entertainment today is the biggest threat to gun rights in the US - it is all black guns and dead bodies. (And if you want to talk about hypocrisy, how about those Hollywood producers making big money on Bruce Willis movies and publicly condemning gun violence and gun rights?) What was the last movie that you saw involving a Fox or Parker or Woodward taking upland game?

I understand that the NRA engages in various forms of public outreach and education, but I would suggest that we as individuals should do our own as well. The future of gun rights in the US will benefit more from getting non-shooting friends out to the skeet field than screaming about prying guns out of our cold dead fingers.

IMHO, at least.

Last edited by Doverham; 05/02/12 02:30 PM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.