To all you great guys who have offered help on this gun, Thanks! I took Ron Overberg's advice and sent an email to Marilia Santos at Beretta. I sent her as complete a discription as I could and included some pictures of my gun. I don't know if this officially puts and end to this discussion but it is from someone who really knows these things and she works for Beretta. It does leave room for some more dicussion, though. For instance, my gun does not have the articulated trigger on it. I'm not sure what she was referring to about the safety. I asked her to explain the meaning of "an extractor of extensive developement". I have sent her my best response and asked a couple more questions of her. So far, I have not received any more emails from her. I have included her letter below just as she sent it to me.
Bob

"Dear Mr. Hynden,
The Security Division has informed that the shotgun is a side by side model 409 bis. It has been produced on July 1951 and sold in Italy on August 1951.

This is a shotgun with two barrels hammerless - Monobloc - Beretta special triple locking - trigger Anson Deeley - light elegant engraving - receiver and barrel in Alloy Chromium eletric Steel - Special type Ausonia - rib type St. Etienne - safety on bottom - good class wooden.

Note: the Beretta special triple locking "Patented" is with a longitudinally slide pin controlled by a lever; the system, called "top lever", works at the top of the receiver and it is particularly effective against the solicitations of rotation imparted to the barrel by explosive charge. This locking system allows the application of an extractor of extensive development.

I hope it can help you.

Best regards

MARILIA SANTOS "
Customer Service Firearms & Beretta Sport Division
Fabbrica d'Armi PIETRO BERETTA S.p.A.
Via Artigiani, 1
25063 Gardone Val Trompia, Brescia - ITALY
Tel. +39 030 8341.369 - Fax. +39 030 8341.421

Last edited by Birdhunter56; 05/09/12 09:54 AM.