Jack,
What you say is correct. Teach a kid to shoot and protect the enviornment so that he can continue to shoot. Form common ground. Don't cultivate divisiveness.
Environmentalists and environmentalism in this country started with the hunting crowd. I bet most of the members here know that. Without T. Roosevelt there would be no national park system. Teddy was hated in the west because he wanted to preserve the land. The landowners wanted no restrictions.
It is the hunters who most understand and appreciate true nature and understand how quickly it is lost forever. Ducks unlimited has probably bought and preserved more wetlands than any organization or government.
How did it get to be that Democrats became the enemy and all issues are black and white and divided by party? Why would people who love guns and hunting call people who happen to be in a different political party "enviornmental wackos" (in the words of that esteemed fount of conservative wisdom, Russ Limbaugh and his ilk.)?
I have never understood the rancor and personal attacks engendered by someone with a slightly different political view?
Ted, (and jOe to the extent it applies) I think intellegent discourse is enlightening and provides room for common ground. Why do we need to move it to personal attacks and name calling? Does that somehow help us convince the other person? Somehow, that has not been my experience.
Best to All, Jake

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net