Jack wrote:
"I asked for examples of 'near verbatim' copy between the 1938 Nazi Weapons law and the 1968 Gun Control Act, because I am pretty certain they don't exist. The JFPO material qualifies as 'urban myth.'"

(Well, what about the letter to Dodd's office? Is that a "myth"?So in other words, you're not willing to find out for yourself, you simply want to be told what is and what is not? Telling you will likely not change anything since you've already seem to have made up your mind that it doesn't exist. Regardless of what I post, you'll simply put your head in the sand and pretend it does not exist.
The Nazi Weapons Law 1938 copy that I have consists of 10 pages of very small print and GCA 1968 is 13 pages. When I get home this evening I'll look for my digital camera and I will take a picture of the copies that I have and upload it on my site. I hardly have time to post, and you think I can sit here and type out duplicates of the Nazi Weapons Law 1938 and GCA 1968 just for you to sit there and say it isn't so because you don't want to get them yourself and read it? If you've read both as you seem to imply, then what's the point? Perhaps I should ask you to post comparisons where they are different? Get both laws yourself, and then we'll discuss it.)

Jack wrote:
"The notion that the 1938 gun laws led to, or contributed significantly to, the Holocaust is equally specious. Nazi intentions had been spelled out long before (see Mein Kampf). By 1938 German Jews were already suffering oppression and confiscation of properties. Gun and owner registration had already been in effect for 10 years. Even had guns been readily available to Jews, they would also be available to the overwhelming majority of non-Jewish Germans who happily supported Hitler in his anti-Semitic campaign. The idea of an armed Jewish uprising in Hitler's Germany is preposterous."

(This topic was not in my original post. Regardless, I doubt most believe that if the gun control laws had never been passed the genocide would not have occurred. I believe it would have happened anyway, however, without the gun control laws, the death toll would have likely been lower. If it saves one life, it's worth it! Hitler's book was basically taken from Henry Ford's newspaper Dearbourne Independent(sp )

Both laws have these same basic requirements using different wording:
1) person had to meet certain requirements( law abiding, good character).
2) firearms dealers had to record and maintain purchases for the government and get a license.
3) Un-elected civil servants were given powers to decide who could own and carry firearms and what types of firearms can be owned
4) The classification of sporting purpose firearms (the Nazis actually coined the term "assault weapon").
5) transaction records of ammunition (this was repealed in America, though some are trying to bring it back)

Jack, if you refuse to believe this, that's fine, there's no point in going back and forth, but remember this. Most jews thought there was no threat since they had rights and lived in one of the most civilized nations on earth.

Last edited by JM; 02/27/07 09:54 AM.