I have read all about square loads in 16 & 28. I have never actually done scientific performance comparison of 16 ga loads so I have to go on what is written.

I have read all about the patterning. From my experience in the field and range I believe the overwhelming number of hunters and target shooters never truly pattern their guns. Most of those who pattern their guns never go beyond shooting a few sheets of paper and call it good.

I have done some patterning comparing Nickel silver, magnum lead, and soft lead. I have compared choke tube performance on my Citori 16 and chokes in several 16s. I have shot a great many patterning board shots to compare fit. Though I have probably done more than most, I am an amateur and have only a clue. My one sure knowledge is that the variables are tremendous

The reality is most of us depend on someone elses patterning research. Some of what appears in articles in magazines and in books is well written, some not, and some horrific bull.

I do not know if square loads matter or not. They sound nice, but I think it is sound, not a magic reality. It maybe a sound based in the reality of stumbling across the relationship of barrel diameter shot charge weight resulting in proportionally good shot string length

I have no doubt shot string length does matter. Unfortunately like so many things in shotgunning while true it is only one of the many variables that have to be considered. Over emphasis on any one variable is counterproductive.

Is the shot string produced by a 16 magically better than other gauges? I doubt it is. Does the 16 with 1oz or 7/8oz perform acceptably; I have no doubt it does. A good gun and load in any gauge is just that a good gun and load.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS