Greg, we all have our preferences, but I don't see short barrels making a comeback in popularity. Reason: Barrel length for field guns is influenced, more than most of us believe, by the clay target games. Short barrels were once in favor for upland hunting, and that trend (IMO) was strongly influenced by the then relatively new clay target game: skeet. Remember when almost everyone shot 26" barreled skeet guns? Carried over to the trend in upland guns, and skeet was created as practice for upland shooting.

Now we have sporting clays influencing barrel length, and those guys have gone longer and longer. Preferred barrel length on skeet guns has gotten longer.

Personally, I like doubles with 28" barrels for almost everything (hunting and clay targets) except trap, which I very seldom shoot. And when I do, I dig out my old Sterlingworth 12ga with 30" barrels. Some gun writers talk about the advantages of shorter barreled guns for grouse and woodcock hunting, because you're less likely to whack short barrels on trees. I've whacked plenty of barrels when shooting grouse and woodcock, but it's seldom the last 2-3" that come in contact with the tree in question. But gun for gun, shorter barrels mean lighter weight, and that can be an advantage for the grouse and woodcock hunter.

Last edited by L. Brown; 07/08/12 09:20 AM.