I think a lot of this has to do with your vision, and also how you mount a shotgun--First off, I only shoot 12 bore shotguns, and either Model 12's or double triggered side-by-sides. I also am NOT a clays shooter- see Hemingway's "On Shooting Flying 1935 and his comments on clays versus driven tall pheasants- Also the rib configuration on a side-by-side, in my experience, also makes a slight difference. Most of my 12 side-by-sides have either 28" or 30" file cut rib barrels, but I have two ribbed LC Smiths that are different-slightly- (1) a 1945 Ideal FWE with 26" barrels and with the post 1939 single sighting plane raised rib, no middle bead, std. front brass bead- the raised rib makes the barrels seem like 28" to my eyes when I am mounting and shooting this open bored Smith- Imp. Cyl. right and Mod. left- the rest of my guns are Mod. Imp. Mod. and Full- the antithesis is another Smith, a Specialty Grade R frame ejector gun made in 1928 with 32" barrels and the then new factory (not Simmons or Moneymaker)raised ventilated rib, no middle bead (I don't like them) and small German silver front bead- when I mount that Elsie, the barrels seem a bit 'fore-shortened" by the raised rib- again, to my eyes- and them don't seem to be any longer that my Smiths with 30" file cut rib barrels--

Small gauge side-by-sides are not my "thing", and even with a beavertail forearm, I would wrap my fingers around the small diameter barrels, not so much a concern with my 12 gauge side-by-sides, all of which have splinter forearms. The Churchill XXV stubby barreled 12 bores are beautiful handling guns, but in my case, going into side-by-sides from years of shootin' and shuckin' Model 12's-- I like the weight forward apparent balance that helps me follow through on crossing birds- and 80% of my game shooting is pass shooting- 20% walk-up behind either flushing or pointing dogs on game farm pheasants-- others will have different viewpoints here, I am certain of that--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..