Kwill.

I, also, have enjoyed reading these posts. I grew up shooting wild quail in south Georgia and shoot a ton of released quail each year. I still occasionally get to shoot some wild birds.

I would add to the above posts by following the advice given to me by the old timers when I was a kid and it applies more today with the new tighter shooting shells. Pattern your gun at the distances you plan to shoot for each barrel. Different size shot and different brand shells may pattern differently in the same gun. I find this especially true in smaller gauge guns such as a 28 gauge which is what I almost always shoot. For two 28 gauges that I now primarily shoot: one patterns too tight with number eights and I have to use 8 1/2's in it even though I have both of them choked the same.

I prefer AA's which is what a well known gunsmith recommended to me years ago when I was shooting a 20 gauge G grade Syracuse Lefever with Chain Damascus barrels.

For pheasant I usually shoot a 20 or 16 gauge gun and mine do well with number six in the first barrel and number fives in the second barrel of the 20 gauge and number fives in both barrels of the 16 gauge.

Take Care.
Riprap