Originally Posted By: lagopus
I have an Isaac Hollis of London that is much like that. It has a Westley Richards patent top lever action, boxlock side by side, damascus barrels with no engraving except the name. It has such a graceful line with a half pistol grip stock with rounded butt. I was shooting it at sporting clays only the other weekend which was the first time it had been out for a couple of years. I will see if I have any photos on file.

The other is even plainer being a Bland 'Keeper's Hammergun' model which is about as plain as they get. It is only proofed for blackpowder but I seem to shoot it well. I did get a straight 25 at sporting clays with it once. Sometimes something plain can exude a sort of understated elegance; well at least in the case of the Hollis. Sometimes a gun can just be a bit overdone. I think here of American Parkers (no offence intended) but I wouldn't want anything higher than a 'C' grade. Higher than that and they are guilding the lily. There is something about a 'Trojan' grade with good colour hardening on the action that has appeal. Lagopus.....
Any boxlock side-by-side, no matter the maker's marque and or embellishments, has all the grace and beauty of Aretha Franklin- especially the over-heavy Winchester M21's, M24's and the Stevens 311- exceptions are the Dickinson round actioned and the Westley Richards drop lock series-- a Fine Boss sidelock, no matter what port it was shipped to, whether side-by-side or even the semi-gauche under/over (as the Limeys like to phrase it)is a graceful and a joy to handle as the late Ingrid Bergmann or Carole Lombard. Just as the late Paul A. Curtis wrote in his 1934 tome- "Guns and Gunning" the British sidelock is the thoroughbred, the gentleman's gun-- the boxlock is the ploughhorse"!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..