Not a gun like that, but THAT particular gun, is how I would say it. Yes, there have been several over the years. A 16g Model 12, a John Dickson side pedal with very little engraving but plenty of patina and knicks and scratches, and several others. They all were well used guns that bore their scars with grace.

One of the ugliest guns I ever saw was a brand new shiny Winchester 101. One of the most attractive guns I ever saw was the same gun three years later. The American walnut stock had dulled and darkened to a red-black almost color, the surface of the action looked like antique silver, the barrels went from shiny black to a soft charcoal grey. It had been heavily used by a champion skeet shooter to prepare for major tournaments, the constant handling had mellowed it.

So be careful with the restoration. Beauty and patina are literally skin deep. That translates to 5/1000 of an inch in guns, if that.

And do remember the process of distressing of new furniture so it gets to look old real fast. There is a reason for the hefty premium for distressing.

As for lines, you have it spot on. No amount of engraving can compete with inherently graceful lines. The WR Heronshaw, if I recall the model name, is one of the most graceful boxlocks ever built.