Originally Posted By: gunman
Its not wear the "point of balance" is ,its how it feels between your hands .

Mostly I agree with gunman's point. I would expand it to say it is completely correct if you are shooting for the joy of shoting, but should include how well you shoot with that balance if you are shooting for score. If you know the number (inches from teeter-totter point to front trigger), you will have a leg up on predicting wheter you will like a new (to you) gun.

Better still how it feels on your shoulder and how it swings .

Yes, and the swing numbers are measured (unmounted) and calculated (mounted). Again, knowing these numbers for yourself and for an unknown gun gives you a possibility to predict how well it will siut you, personally.

This is one of these old quibbles that surface every now and then ,a lot of people will give a lot of differing opinions as to exactly wear the "point of balance" should be.

IMO, there is no given place/optimum location for balance anymore than there is for LOP. These numbers are individual to any given shooter.

I have recently had a brand new pair of Miroku's through my hands that in no way will ever "balance" due to their construction ,long barrel and multi chokes . Its a mute point in my opinion ,any shooter will know if a gun feels right when he picks it up . That's all that really matters .

I think gunman is using "balance" in the sense of a summative for handling. From the teeter-totter point sense, all guns balance - - - the only question is where. The mentioned Mirokus might suit a sporting clays or trap shooter; heavy weight, forward balance, slow swings. That is, they will help the shooter follow a highly predictable target track and have a stable swing which resists quick changes in direction or speed of swing.