Originally Posted By: joelblack88
The only way to date is that if the "ELG" proofmark has a crown over it, it is post 1893. Francotte made those Martini rook rifles from the late 1880s through the 1930s. Generally they were nicely made and the equal of British made Martini rook rifle. Its a shame Colin Greenwood elected to leave Martini rook rifles out of his otherwise fine rook and rabbit book.

Hello Joel,

The clue is in the title of Colin Greenwoods book, the operative word being 'CLASSIC' It's a matter of opinion I know, but some of us think that a Rook and Rabbit Rifle should be one designed and built specifically for such shooting rather than reboring or relining an existing rifle designed for another purpose to take a Rook Rifle round. It's horses for courses but what the hell. lol. To my mind the ideal Rook and Rabbit rifle is a lightweight single shot rifle of classic British sporting rifle lines. Not a converted military training rifle with all the balance of a lead brick. Just my opinion of course, and worth what you paid for it.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.