I am looking at a new dog once this tour is over. My Springer is going to be 12 1/2 and she is a pretty tired old girl now, limps and hobbles. Loves to hunt but cant get her conditioned anymore, she just doesnt have it in her to take much. Got her out once before I deployed and killed a grouse over her. she fetched it up. probably last one ever, I have that memory though. But I digress.
Looking to buy a new pup and have been fascinated with the Small Muensterlander ever since I ran into one in Switzerland a couple of years ago. Looked like a long tailed Springer. I know they are a pointing dog, and since I am getting a bit older (and slower) a pointing breed might be the ticket to give me a bit more of a chance on grouse.
There is one breeder near me who I have corresponded with and I will be checking his dogs out when I get back next fall.

But I really want to hear from some hunters with experience with the breed. How biddable are they. how family friendly are they. personable? easy to train. not hard headed? Good around kids and other dogs.
I have had Springers for 25 years now but want to try another type of dog. Dont want a big dog and hunt partridge in the rough stuff in the Catskills. Looking for a dog that will hunt, pot and retrieve grouse and woodcock and also a dog that will be my bud. One I can take out to my shop and talk to when I need to get away from Broomrider 6.
Any thoughts, observations would be appreciated.

and of course any kennel suggestions in the north east.

Last edited by Brian; 01/02/13 04:43 PM.

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member