Continued from another thread.
Whilst agreeing whole hearted with Mr Eales, I think he may have got a date and fact wrong. I believe the first pistol / revolver regulations were brought in in 1917 following the Russian revolution. The upper class, amongst them the politicians were worried about something similar in the UK so passed a law making in necessary to get a licence for the above. Of course anyone who could afford one was of that class so all licences were granted, there was a minimal charge I believe, sorry for being a pedant, I did like that Thomas Jefferson quote, never heard it before, best, Mike.

Mike whilst I may be slightly out in date, the Gun Licence was available to anyone with Fifteen Shillings (About 3.00 US Dollars at that time) Even a relatively poor man could afford that. My Grandfather could, and he was a Poacher way back then, (aside from his day job). The local Policeman (Bobby) knew he was a poacher, but could never catch him at it.

He would hear my Grandfathers 0.410 go off, but when he went to investigate he only found my grandfather walking along the road. Unknown the the Policeman, my ancestor had metal biscuit boxes buried in nearly every field in the local area, and when he shot a Pheasant, Rabbit or Hare they were put into these tins for collection after dark. Had the Policeman looked closely at my Grandfathers walking Stick, he would have found that it was in fact, a walking stick shotgun. (Sneaky). However,the Policeman didn't lose out. The day before Christmas each year grandpa would hang a couple of Pheasants on the door knocker of the Policemans house. lol. He never did get caught. lol. Things were a lot different in 1900.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 01/10/13 01:58 PM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.