To the best of my knowledge the 1994 "Assault" weapons ban was never challenged at the Federal level as a 2nd Amendment right violation. This was probably because of it's limited scope. I am NOT a lawyer and perhaps someone with a legal background here can provide more information.
The same has been true of the original NFA law of 1934 which required the registration of machine guns or the 1986 law which banned the further manufacture sale of machine guns to individuals.
The latter two laws did have an effect. You could have bought an M16 full auto rifle from Colt prior to 1986 for a few hundred dollars plus the $200 registration fee. The same registered M16 (pre 1986) would now cost you around $20,000. Here's an example of the basic law of supply and demand.

I have an update here from further research:

"The Supreme Court reversed the District Court and held that the NFA provision (criminalizing possession of certain firearms) was not violative of the Second Amendment's restriction and therefore was not unconstitutional."
This update is from the 1938 Supreme Court case. The defendent's name was Miller and he was found to be in possession of a sawed off shotgun(Barrels less than 18"). I suspect this ruling may be the reason the original "Assault" weapons ban was never challenged.
Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 01/11/13 02:08 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.