Hi guys - not real sure how these forums work, and never having time to spend sitting in front of the computer (unless programming a new part...), we'll just have to see if this comes out OK! Since I'm the one who is supposedly (giggle) going to be making the actions, I thought I should come on and start the list of disclaimers, aggravations, annoyances and other "bad" stuff, before we get too far along here. But don't worry - I'll try to not get too carried away...

First, I'd like to thank those of you who have made positive comments on the Wesson #1 actions I have in production now. My biggest problem there - I'm backordered by many months. I'm now working on another batch of 30 receivers, and they are all spoken for!

My exposure to the shotgun world is extremely minimal. This is not due to any particular circumstances; just that I'm mostly a handgun and single-shot guy, and sometimes one needs to pick and choose his hobbies. So in that regard I am approaching this as primarily another machining/fitting/finishing job. As was previously detailed in this topic, my work would end with an in-the-white action, with the exception of the fact that internal parts that needed heat treating would be taken care of before it left my hands. This is how I do the Wesson actions - the outsides are left in the "annealed" state, but the internal lock and firing-pin related parts are all heat treated and ready to go. And incidentally, I do not do my own heat treating - I entrust that to a small aero- and auto-certified shop that has numerous computer-controlled furnaces. There's just no way I could approach their quality and consistency using a torch on a bench!

So maybe the first thing to keep in mind is that I have NEVER seen one of these guns! But heck - it's only a collection of metal parts, and that's where I make my living. Now there are a couple of people (Ken H. looms large here) who are working on educating me in this department - getting me a gun to look at and pieces to play with. And once that happens I will have a much better idea of where things are going. Then there are the umpteen-and-a-half variations, and which one (or ones) to go after, and who gets to make those decisions.

A really big question is just how closely to follow the originals. Making an exact copy is very nearly an impossibility. By exact here, I mean same materials, same methods of fabrication, etc. Do we duplicate the exact original screw threads, and run into the need for expensive custom taps? Do we forge parts or machine them from solid blocks? Is wire EDM work permitted, since it didn't exist back then? I guess my take on it is that I would utilize whatever manufacturing methods are needed to do the job - as good as, if not better. Changes from the originals are almost inevitable, but hopefully in very minor ways, and in ways that would enhance the functioning.

OK, this is getting a bit long for a first post, so I'll let it go and see what happpens!

Steve <><