The two German made barrels does not have British proof marks, only German proof marks made before 1940. So they were made after the rifle was exported from England. I don't think the rifle's ever been back to Dear Old Blighty.

It's possible that it was exported from England to Germany and then the owner ordered two extra barrels from a barrel maker in Suhl. After that it was sold to Sweden. But I'm beginning to doubt that the original caliber was .25-20 WCF, because that caliber was first introduced in 1895.

Sweden does not have any proof rules or laws, so no marks are stamped on imported guns, or even when altered, I'm afraid. The .25-20 WCF became popular in Sweden in the 1920-ies when Husqvarna made a cheap rifle no. 26 in that caliber. My new theory is that the Swedish owner re-chambered the original 297/250 barrel to 25-20 WCF here in Sweden because no German proof marks can be found on the barrel. The font/typeface differs between the engraving of the makers name and the caliber on the barrel. It also differs slightly from the typeface used on the German made barrels.

I have got the Rook Rifle book by Greenwood, it's a very interesting book.

Last edited by cloffe; 03/11/13 11:26 AM.