Mike, "the fuller the better" seems still to be the creed amongst most Swedish hunters, unfortunately. The concept of instinctive shooting is unheard of and techniques from rifle shooting rules supreme. Take your time and aim carefully, squeeze the trigger... I think this is because 95% of all Swedish males, at least in the past, got a rifle education during the compulsory military service. The shotgun is basically treated as a rifle.

Another explanation is the type of game Swedish hunters normally shoot with a shotgun. Roe dear. The combination of extra full chokes and extra magnum 40+ grams of US1 shots is very popular. This combination was taught to me by my father and all the older men at the shooting range frowns upon anything less full than 3/4 choke. Anything smaller than US3 is regarded to weak regardless of what the Swedish hunting magazines try to tell. The theory is that the thick winter fur on the roe dear requires large pellets, a theory which has been proven wrong time after time in Swedish hunting magazines, but tradition beats knowledge in the Swedish hunting culture, I'm afraid. I was regarded as an idiot when I after reading the book "The Better Shot with Holland & Holland" wanted a side by side shotgun choked open and 1/4...