A "thoughtful" cry response to my letter to our newest Senator. Clearly an independent thinker focused on real world solutions and not political sound-bites. I am particularly impressed by her willingness to look beyond guns to focus on the real problems of mental health and the epidemic of violence in the media:

Quote:
Dear Hamilton,

Thank you for contacting me about efforts to curb gun violence.

Like millions of people across the country, I was heartbroken by the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School last December. I do not know how to explain the deaths of twenty innocent children or why six heroic teachers had to make the ultimate sacrifice for their students.

Tragically, the shooting in Newtown was not an isolated incident. Research by the Children's Defense Fund shows that, on average, nearly nine children and teenagers die every day from gun violence - thousands every year, and tens of thousands every decade. If nine children were dying of a mysterious illness every day, our country would do everything in its power to stop it.

That's why I support a comprehensive set of reforms to reduce gun violence. I strongly support reauthorizing the expired federal ban on assault weapons and high capacity magazines, and I will fight for its passage in the United States Senate. I also support closing the loopholes in federal background checks for gun shows and private sales. The President has put forward a slate of proposals to help address gun violence and gun safety, and I strongly support those efforts as well.

There is no one solution for ending gun violence, but commonsense reforms like a reauthorized assault weapons ban and the President's proposals would be a responsible way forward. I will keep your thoughts in mind as I continue to look for other steps we can take to protect our children and families from these terrible tragedies. I believe that is my responsibility as a United States Senator -- and as a mother and grandmother.

Sincerely,
Elizabeth Warren
United States Senator

Last edited by Doverham; 04/12/13 04:05 PM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.