As KY Jon said above: "Enjoy the ride and half the fun of buying a new gun is looking at all the different options out there. Who knows one of them might just talk to you. More than one gun I own was bought while I was looking for something else. Half the fun as I said."

Many years ago I was just browsing in a good gun shop and picked up a Pedro Arrizabalaga and mounted it. I was so astounded at the handling of that gun that I bought it on the spot, writing a check for the asking price. That gun had been made by PA for J Roberts of London and I have never been sorry I bought it. The handling and feel is truly remarkable and the fit and finish is excellent.

Since then I've had as many as seven Spanish shotguns; now I'm down to five where I most likely will stay. The worst handling felt like a 21 but cost me only about 600 bucks whereas the best are the PA and an Aya.

The legend about soft Spanish steel these days appears to nothing more than a legend - apparently decades ago some Spanish guns were made to a very low price point and imported. By and large these guns no longer exist (if they ever did) and newer Spanish guns are very high quality.

If you have your heart set on an English gun save up for a sound one. If you will be satisfied with a shotgun that has excellent handling qualities and is mechanically and aesthetically sound then a Spanish gun might satisfy you.

Resale value? Just a personal observation - My guns are bought with discretionary money and they are nothing more than nice toys and I don't care what my toys sell for after I'm done playing with them. But that's just a personal view - judging from many posters' comments resale value can be a real issue.

Of course, if it not being an English gun would annoy you each time you use it, then by all means don't buy a Spaniard!

But otherwise they're worth shouldering and, if possible, shooting.