Browsing through the German auction site eGun I came across the following gun. http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=4342991
Several things interested me. First, it is a Sempert & Krieghoff pre World War II drilling. Secondly, it is a model "Waldschütz" which is a modification of the more common "Semper" drilling I had never seen before. Thirdly, although the most noticeable characteristic of the "Waldschütz" is its 55 cm barrels, this particular drilling has only 50 cm barrels. Lastly, when I arrived at the 5th photo accompanying the description, I noticed that this drilling is equipped with a feature known as "Herausnehmbares Scholßgewerk" in the Sempert & Krieghoff catalog.

This feature allows the entire lockwork of the drilling to be removed from the action without the use of tools, first bz turning the lever shown in photo 5, and then releasing the other lever which follows the curve of the pistol grip in photos 7 and 8. The seller was evidently not aware of this feature, since he didn't mention it in the description.

The drilling will be shipped to a gunsmith in Germany to forward it on to me, and I expect to receive a full report on the condition of the lockwork at that time. It may be that the action also features what is referred to as "automatische Kugelschloßverriegelung", a feature which automatically blocks the lock of the rifle barrel when the selector is switched to "shot". That would be an unexpected bonus.

Evidently no one else recognized the unusual feature of this drilling, because onlz one other person bid, and his bid was for the opening price only.

The scope is not original, an inexpensive Japanese replacement for whatever originally was fitted to the claw mount rings, but replacing it with a more suitable scope should not be a problem.

The buttstock wood does not appear to match the fore end, so it may be a replacement. That should not create too great a problem. The 16/65 shot chambers may be able to be opened to 16/70, but if not, I have a supply of 16/65 shells to use with it. Altogether, I am excited with the prospect of owning such an unusual gun.

Last edited by xausa; 04/21/13 07:03 PM.