I would commend to you vintage W & C Scott sidelock guns, which, in my opinion, best fit within your price and 'desires' parameters. They produced many 'private label' guns for a number of London bespoke makers, such as Holland & Holland, for just one amongst several other examples, due to the excellence and quality of their timeless design and production, and thus should possess the attributes you seek: excellent wood and metal fit and finish, both on the exterior and interior-wise, the mid- to upper-range models evince good coverage of quality engraving, and they exhibit acceptable to outstanding wood, with respect to the examples I have handled, owned and perused on-line. Handled, they have good balance, in my experience; and if the stock dimensions are right-on or approximately right for you, they can even seem lithe and quite biddable when engaged. The personal experience of others may differ, but the W & C Scott guns I have handled and seen sport 30-inch barrels, in the main, or otherwise appear in 28-inch configuration, are most often 12-bore, and usually employ the era's 2-1/2 inch chambering. Late nineteenth and early twentieth century guns by this maker imported into the U.S. will have that chambering, too, unless ordered by the importer or individual buyer from the maker in our 2-5/8, 2-9/16 or 2-3/4 inch (or by later having had the chamber lengthened) chambering.

By the way, the same comments above can be made for Army & Navy marked sidelock guns, some of which were made by W & C Scott or by its amalgamated successor, Webley & Scott, yet another commendable firm that you might also consider. As well, their vintage status, quality standard and pricing are well within your specifications.

I prefer retaining the original 2-1/2 inch chambering, firstly because I am a traditionalist and conservator and dislike making material, irredeemable changes to a vintage gun, but equally because it does good service afield on feather or fur in our native environs, just as it has done abroad for more than one hundred years. Ammunition in 2-1/2 inch is not very difficult to find on the shelf (Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, etc.), to order on-line, or produce at the reloading bench. In addition to domestic availability of the excellent British "Gamebore" cartridge brand that is rationally tailored for respectful use with elderly side-by-side game guns, producing between some 6500 to 7600 psi, depending on choice of paper or plastic hull, the wad, propellant, crimp type, and payload used, the 2-1/2 inch extra-low pressure cartridges (RST, Polywad, etc.) available in the U.S., in various bores, also do not unnecessarily stress or harm antique materials, wood and constituent parts, and may sometimes improve our shooting.

If I were looking for a medium-priced, vintage sidelock, I would carefully review what is on offer with Holt's Auctioneers, Bonhams or Gavin Gardiner in the U.K. (their prices seem far better to me), or the Rock Island Auction Company's and James Julia Auctioneer's offerings in the U.S. Of course, there are any number of vendors on-line to be considered, both domestic and foreign. I trust you will find a gun to your liking that is a match to your needs.

Regards,

Edwardian

His Time Viewed from a Distance: