Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Welcome Coosa. That's a nice bird and your story about the trials of getting it to shoot where you wanted it to was interesting. A number of the guys here are using .410s with that tungsten shot. I'm still using lead but the idea of changing over to an ultra-light gun is intriguing...Geo

P.S. On the other hand how dead do you need'em to be?

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I am aware of several hunters using tungsten in a .410, and they are as effective as 3.5" 12 gauge guns shooting lead. Its amazing stuff. When I first started working with it 5 years ago, I developed a 3.5" load for my Super Black Eagle and have shot a bunch of turkeys with it. I eventually realized it is overkill to fire 2 oz of this stuff at 1250 fps at a turkey. The 1.75 oz 20 gauge load at 1100 fps will kill one further than I would shoot him, but the modified barrel of the Yildiz gives me such a big killing pattern that an old man like me can really use.

Are there folks using it in a .410 sxs? That would be a really interesting combo! I killed my first squirrel at age 9 with a borrowed Winchester .410 sxs and have loved the sxs ever since. The gun belonged to a neighbor, and he offered to sell it to my dad for $40. I begged for the gun, but he said it was too much. What would it be worth today? Something like $3k from what I can gather. Oh well.