Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
And what happens if you hit a bird at 35 yards with your tight choke and don't kill him ?

Chances are he won't run towards you...

The idea of upland choking and pixey dust sized shot for turkey is about as dumb as shooting deer with a .22 rim-fire.

It is you! I haven' talked to you since they threw you off the GON forum, but file this in the "its a small world" category. I joined a club in TN about 20 miles west of Centerville for spring turkey hunting. I killed a turkey the first morning I hunted it, and then never heard a gobble on it again in 5 more mornings, so I didn't rejoin. Anyway, the club president was riding me around and a couple of jakes crossed the road in front of us. He dived out of the truck with his gun, intending to blast one of them, so I stepped out too. They ran down below us, and I had my Alan Sentell trumpet around my neck, so I started talking to them. They answered and were on their way back to the road when a gobbler sounded off on the other club. We forgot the jakes and set up on the gobbler, but couldn't lure him to our side.

After we left, he was impressed with my trumpet and then showed me his - it was one of yours! Turned out you were a member of the club too, and had given him the trumpet. You shoulda taught him how to run it; he wouldn't even try for me. Said he couldn't make a turkey sound with it. Giving him that call was a very nice thing for you to do - my opinion of you went up a lot. He's not somebody that could do a lot for you, so it was just pure generosity on your part.

Oh, btw, I'm usually poorcountrypreacher on turkey forums, but I use coosa sometimes too. It doesn't take so long to type.

Back to the gun - the right barrel has an almost can't miss pattern at 25 yds. I shot it at 22"x28" poster board at 25 yds and there was nowhere on it that a turkey could have had his head or neck and survived. But it still had a 102 hits in a 10" circle at 40 yds, so if I crippled him at 35 with the left barrel, I could still kill him easily with the right.

I killed the 2 in the pic in GA a few days ago. Shot the first one at 27 yds with the right barrel and he hardly flopped. Went to another spot and called in the second one. I had to move the gun when he went behind the only cover and he caught the movement - had to shoot him with the left barrel at 41 yds, and there was nothing visible over a log except his head and a few inches of neck. He flopped all over the place, but he wasn't going anywhere.

Check the thread that has GLS with his little .410 single shot and several turkeys. It is a 40 yard killer every time. I know you wouldn't shoot one past 40 yards, so his little gun would be all you'd need. wink

Just kidding - we won't ever agree on tungsten for turkeys, but I wanted to tell you about seeing the call you gave away. Good luck in your hunting!