Our six children have decent educations, work hard and it's paid off in healthy and happy families in strong communities. They consider it a privilege to pay taxes, as Nancy and I do and my parents did, because it pays for the amenities of civilization.

We think taxes should go to those less fortunate in need, just as Americans do, because taxes also go to sectors and causes for which we don't agree. You bet I'm willing to pay through universal healthcare for a neighbour in need. Gladly, and pay and pay, grateful that I don't need the care myself.

Do I like paying for unemployment insurance and social welfare for slackers? Of course not. Who would? I also don't like topping up the treasuries of corporate welfare bums. Citizens of the US and Canada realize that millions currently on the street with little hope were put there by corporate greed.

They are cast in a lonely orbit of despair through no fault of their own, Craig. It may be your way to say suck it up, you're on your own. It's not the American way. Turning your back on the deserving, weak and poor is neither Christian or human. It's the antithesis of any common religious doctrine.