Keynes is dinner table around here when friends get together, too. We have different opinions but few complaints. I didn't hear anyone anywhere say we should shut-down Windsor and Oakville. Did you?

On your point, Greenspan said before collapse that safeguards were in place to prevent serious recession and in post mortems he didn't see it coming.

I don't know why the chattering classes, including liberal and conservative commentators, even refer to capitalism because we live in a mixed economy with the public as significant shareholders.

On corporate greed, I agree entirely. I don't think Lehman and others can be sanitized as anything other than greedy and perhaps criminal in their repackaging of spurious wares.

Some are glossing; I'm not. I didn't name Republicans or Democrats as culpable in the debacle. Saying "unregulated anything goes" isn't intellectually dishonest. It's a mystery to me Americans let their administration get away with it.

Remember the Canadian uproar when the Conservatives changed their mind on trust funds? My investor friends were outraged. My religious sister, bless her, said "I deserved it. I believed the government and gambled and I lost."

Last edited by King Brown; 08/17/13 09:27 AM.