Originally Posted By: King Brown
I didn't hear anyone anywhere say we should shut-down Windsor and Oakville. Did you?

King, we didn't need to shut down Oakville. That's Ford and they didn't come begging. They actually spent several years getting prepared for the shitstorm.

As far as GM and Chrysler goes, I said we should have let them fail. And I heard many agree with me. Yes, there is pain and dislocation. But there is no subsidy and from the ashes rises something new.

The unions would have been toast, and in this day and age of government safety nets, unions have lost their raison d'etre. It's obscene that they are allowed to hold our public service hostage.

Since 1980 in real numbers, union membership in Canada has risen. Yet private sector union membership has fallen from over 30% of the work force to less than 15%. The implications are obscene. And the far left has their dirty hands and grubby fingers all over this. Pigs at the trough! Incredible they can complain about Senate expenses. Hypocrites all!

It would have also been much harder to extend the next round of corporate welfare to anyone.

What most forget in these discussions is that when you let a giant (e.g GM) fail, many other companies and employees are hugely benefited. Ford, for example, could have soaked up 100s of thousands of new vehicle sales without having to compete with the government. The people who were going to buy a new car, would still buy a new car. They would just make a different choice as to brand.

Just read some hack PR VP from Bombardier try to explain how his company hasn't been on the dole since they began making more than snowmobiles. I wanted to retch.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia