I make a few cases per year for myself and friends as a hobby. I got started a few years ago after studying pictures of cases in the DGJ, and various catalogs, such as Westley Richards. I can tell you it is very satisfying but does take some trial and error. With each case I make I find where I've improved upon the one I made just before it. Rather than going into detail, because I'd rather not do that since everyone has their way of making stuff, I will give you a few pointers that may be helpful instead.

If you want "best-quality" plan to invest about $400 in materials; $200 for a side of leather, which'll make as many as 2 cases; I suggest Wickett & Craig tannery, latigo or bridle leather. $50 for a yard+ of ultrasuede for the interior. $25 for the 1/2" oak frame. $100 for the hardware. A previous poster is correct in stating that the hardest thing to find to make quality cases is the brass hardware. I suggest centuryarms.com.au - they carry most of what you'll need. About all you can find stateside are the hinges ($25/pr from Woodcraft).

It still takes me about 40 hours to build a case from start to finish. If you add up all the time and cost involved I can see where some would be tempted to simply contact Galazan for one of their $699 specials. I've never seen one of theirs, and I'm sure it's of good quality, but if you're like me, you'll get the ultimate satisfaction building one yourself, custom-fitted to the actual gun you want to case.