I followed the load in the published manual using Clays, 1 oz. and windjammers for a 5500 psi load cutting down my Rem hulls to 2 1/2". I shot about 500 of them but somethng was telling me it wasn't right. I had Tom Armbrust test them and they came in at around 7500 psi. They were also a pain to make. The Harten crimp requires an overshot card which halves the output from either my RCBS Grand or MEC9000. I therefore used a load that is much more popular and well know using PB which comes in around 5200 psi and further made the decision to eliminate the harten crimp and use 2 3/4" Rem hulls figuring the loads would come in at 6000 psi. I have no proof that my assumptions are correct though. I also decided to go with gun club hulls instead of STS since they were more flexible and thinner.

It was fun to watch the confetti come out of the barrels when shooting with the overshot cards. For some unknown reason, I also found that the cut down 2 1/2" hulls took a bit of a beating and were covered in black- much like a 28gauge Rem reload after several uses.

I shoot with a lot of guys from the Vintagers and although I don't think it is wise (and I don't do it) many shoot 2 3/4 dram Rem STS loads in their Parkers and other stout guns, both steel and damascus barrels, and so far there does not seem to be any problems. A lot of these guys are serious shooters and we are talking a lot of rounds per year. I guess they are looking at the thickness of the chambers and barrels and deciding nothing will hurt them.

I, on the other hand, am a chicken and hate hospitals so I will stick with my low pressure loads. I should have Tom test the ones I make and extrapolate the increase of pressure from the short chambers. I do feel comfortable with the info in the finding out for myself article. I will let you all know if I have a problem.

Best,
Ten finger Milt(so far)

So many guns, so little time!